A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other marques (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Volvo with Launch Control... (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15630)

HPsauce 21st April 2020 08:42 PM

Volvo with Launch Control...
 
I don't know yet if it's true, but I was told today that my little Volvo V40 has launch control. :eek:
It's 4 years old and I never knew! Just need to verify if it's true, at least the roads are quiet. :rolleyes:

Apparently you just put it in Sport mode, left foot hard on the brake, floor the loud pedal and wait for the revs to settle at 2500rpm then lift your left foot.

Given it's got 4WD and well over 250bhp (after the Polestar upgrade which optimises mid-range torque) in what is effectively a Ford Focus body that might be "interesting"...… :D

paulrstaylor 22nd April 2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 156979)
I don't know yet if it's true, but I was told today that my little Volvo V40 has launch control. :eek:
It's 4 years old and I never knew! Just need to verify if it's true, at least the roads are quiet. :rolleyes:

Apparently you just put it in Sport mode, left foot hard on the brake, floor the loud pedal and wait for the revs to settle at 2500rpm then lift your left foot.

Given it's got 4WD and well over 250bhp (after the Polestar upgrade which optimises mid-range torque) in what is effectively a Ford Focus body that might be "interesting"...… :D

How long is your driveway? :ROFL:

Adrian E 22nd April 2020 07:34 AM

Our S5 has it, but it's never been used. feels far too much like drivetrain abuse to attempt it! I'm sure it's mainly there to deliver the quoted 0-60mph times in the brochure, with little regard to mechanical sympathy :ROFL:

tc4332 22nd April 2020 06:39 PM

I have actually done it a few times in my D4 and can vouch that it works.
Bit like going over the top on The Big One at Blackpool.

HPsauce 18th May 2022 10:15 AM

Well I never tried it in the end and now I maybe never will. :mad:

The little Volvo was exhibiting some occasional and weird symptoms. Low coolant (very rarely) and cabin heating not working (intermittently).
It went in for annual service on 17th March and I haven't seen it since!

It's been a long and sorry tale and at one point they said "it's all fixed now we're bringing it back to you". Followed by a call 10 minutes later "It broke down on the way to you with the same problem....".

Anyway we do currently have a brand new Volvo XC40 B5 on loan, though for quite a long while we had nothing!
And the S8 going down to MJs was an added spanner in the works, but that was going to happen whatever! :ROFL:

Finally today, after 2 months messing around and shipping it to a larger branch of the dealership, and with direct involvement of Volvo UK technical they have a diagnosis.

Cylinder 2 liner is leaking, confirmed using a boroscope....... New engine required. :eek:

Over to Volvo UK for a response, it has done less than 28,000 miles and has a full Volvo service history.

steamship 18th May 2022 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 169711)
Cylinder 2 liner is leaking, confirmed using a boroscope....... New engine required. :eek:

Over to Volvo UK for a response, it has done less than 28,000 miles and has a full Volvo service history.

WOW! That's going to be an interesting topic of conversation, depending on what Volvo UK have to say. Let's hope common sense prevails.

HPsauce 26th May 2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 169715)
That's going to be an interesting topic of conversation, depending on what Volvo UK have to say.

So far nothing..... the dealer have let me know today that they are still (after over a week) awaiting a response from Volvo UK on costs of a new engine.

tonupkid 26th May 2022 06:01 PM

That is horrific Andrew. Lets hope Volvo do the decent and put it right for you without charge.

HPsauce 27th May 2022 12:31 PM

Sadly that's not looking likely. They've made an offer but it's not that good and based on a very high base price. When challenged with some powerful points they wouldn't move. :-(

Adrian E 27th May 2022 12:37 PM

Sounds like you may have to go legal….


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.